Sunday, December 18, 2005

Rock Hall almost gets it right

I blogged on this when this year's nominees were announced, I like symmetry, so I have to comment now that the nominees have been named. The nominees are:

Blondie
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Miles Davis
Sex Pistols

Well deserved all, I guess. I still have a problem with Miles Davis, I mean he's one of my faves, but this ain't the jazz hall of fame. I just don't see much rock'n'roll connection, other than his pioneering fusion album, Bitch's Brew.

Blondie? No problem, they brought New Wave to the masses.

Black Sabbath? Hugely influential, to this day. Should have been in long ago.

Lynyrd Skynyrd? ditto to the above comment on Sabbath. How many millions of kids picked up a guitar to learn Free Bird?

Sex Pistols? If Percy Sledge could get in on one song, they can get in for one album. But unlike Percy, their one album (actually more specifically all the hoopla before and after that one album) put punk in the public consciousness.

Which brings me to the criminal omission, once again, of the Stooges. Voting in the Pistols before the Stooges is putting the cart before the horse in a big way.

In 1986, the first class of inductees looked like this:
performers
Chuck Berry
James Brown
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
Fats Domino
The Everly Brothers
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Presley
Little Richard

early influences
Robert Johnson
Jimmie Rodgers
Jimmy Yancey

So now that they've gotten around to recognizing punk the last couple of years, they should have followed the same modus operandi - recognize the pioneers first, then those that built on the foundation laid by the "early adopters".

Oh well, "wait 'til next year!!".

No comments: