Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Ultimate in Hops

OK, I thought I had found the most ridiculously hopped beer there could be a while back with Stone Ruination IPA, (on the shelf in the freakin' grocery store in San Diego) however I can top that - Great Divide Hercules Double IPA, recommended to me by my man Mike Brawley at Brawley's Beverage.

The Ruination was aptly named, because it ruins your taste buds for anything but hops, well this stuff takes it a step further and ruins your nose, your eyes, (my brain, but that's another story, 9.10% ABV may have something to do with it), your entire being. I knew by the aroma (pure pine needles) that I was in for a serious pucker factor. Also distinguished by a sparkly, almost crystalline head residue on the sides of my Mellow Mushroom/Paulaner mug. (for you neophytes, the more "lacing" on the sides of your drinking vessel, the better the beer, this stuff goes beyond lacing, leaves a carpet) If you're a hop fanatic (you know who you are) then you gotta get ahold of some of this.

Oh, yeah, the bottle cap says "Great Minds Drink Alike". And I've now tried 29 of the top 100 beers on www.beeradvocate.com

No comments: